Monday, April 11, 2011

Where has this semester gone?

So here it is, mid April, and the end is finally in sight. I have been waiting all semester for this time to come and now that it has I find myself wanting it to slow down a little bit. Not because I want to stay in class but because there is SO MUCH TO DO! I hate that every class always just throws all these massive assignments at you at the last possible moment and they all are always due at the exact same time. In two weeks time though I will have officially finished my sophomore year of college. That thought begs the question again of, where in the world has time gone. It feels like just a few days ago I was graduating from high school and now here I am, two years in to college feeling like I haven't learned that much material wise but learned so much about life in general. It is insane. When I was younger I used to think that by the time I got to this point in life/college I would be married but now I am seeing that that is not really what I want at all right now. I have so much I want to do and accomplish before I move on to that stage of life (I am sure there are a number of people out there who are glad to read this as they do not want me to get married because I guess that means I have really grown up? ha) 

Back to this semester though. As it winds down, I find myself thinking that I could have done a lot of things differently. Some things I am glad I did the way I did though! I have this really massive fear of public speaking you see and at the beginning of the semester I found out that I was going to have to give TWO oral presentations in my English class and my Sociology of the Family class. I freaked out. Luckily my sociology one was a group presentation but still! I lucked out and got a way great group. We all instantly connected and got along great and it was easy to divide up the work and determine who needed to do what. Everyone came through ahead of time (which as some of you may know is not always the case for group projects, especially in college) and we did an excellent job on our presentation and got a 25/25! Go us! Plus we had to write a paper about the same material and I got on A on that as well. Talk about feeling good about a class!

Then there was English. Now that class is a whole different story. It seems way easy at times and at others it seems wicked hard. Sometimes our teacher does not show up which makes for a very frustrating day. Like today for example. We have been doing oral presentations for the past couple of weeks and today I was supposed to do mine but she never showed up. After about 10 minutes someone called her and discovered she hurt her back and so she was not coming. Weird AND ultra frustrating. So she said that the three people who were supposed to present today should go see her in her office when they got a chance. So after my next classes I went to see her so that I could do my presentation. I don't know which is worse... presenting to the whole class in semi-darkness (makes it easier to see the power point) and having people not really pay attention or presenting one on one to the teacher and almost having a conversation about it instead. It is extremely intimidating. BUT! It all paid off because I got a 99/100... the highest grade in the class! Talk about a relief. Plus the more papers I have written, the better my grades have gotten. I am no longer too worried about doing well in that class because and A is almost guaranteed at this point.

I think the only classes that I am at all worried about are history and geology. Both have given me a really hard time this semester and I am very worried about getting a passing grade in both of them. I have a feeling that the next couple of weeks will be very stressful because of those two classes alone. My history final is Monday at seven in the morning which adds to the stress even more. I don't know if I am going to be able to get up and be awake enough for it that early! Ha. 

My final class, Marriage and Family Relationship Skills, has been a way fun class this semester. My teacher is so awesome. I am taking my Adolescent Development class from Roger next semester as well. His teaching method is not the same as most professors and we never have tests which is a relief because I hate tests and don't usually do that well on them at all. Today we had a vote in class about what our final should be. We decided that we would write a letter to ourself about what we have learned in the class and what we want to remind ourselves of in five years so that we can make sure we are applying what we have learned in the class to our lives. Talk about an easy final! 

Now, I just have three more papers, four quizzes, and four finals (actual tests) to get through before it can be SUMMER TIME!! And let me tell you, this summer is definitely going to be one to remember. I so can't wait for it.....