Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Customer Service: Part II

Okay, so maybe my skills in dealing with people whilst being a customer are getting better. After my not-as-hoped-for results from the airlines, today I had MUCH better luck! So I went to Pep Boys to get my oil changed and they have this sign in the window that say something to the effect of: "29 minute or less oil change! See store for details!" I did not think much about it except that it was good because I did not want to be there for very long. I called them first to make sure that they were not super busy too. So I get there and fill out all the info and the guy takes my keys and I go sit in the "Customer Lounge" that they have ha. So I'm sitting there minding my own business just playing games on my phone when I realize it has been close to 30 minutes and they still have yet to even put my car in the garage even though there were no other cars being worked on at the time.... I became a bit suspicious and just figured they were short handed and so I would wait another 15 minutes before I went and asked anything. Then I saw some guys just chillin out in the parking lot just talking and not doing anything so I went to the front desk and told them how long I had been there and then asked when my car would be ready. I did this in in a semi pleasant voice since it was the first time I was to say anything. They scrambled around and couldn't find the work order so by now I was getting really frustrated because there were four people working inside and none of them could find the order and no one outside working on my car! Then they finally found it and said they would check to see if someone was available to change the oil and then FINALLY got started but we're to only work on it for about five minutes before the guy came in and said I needed to replace my air filter as well. Joy. So they finally get started on it all and it took them at very close to half an hour to change my freaking oil and I was so annoyed by this point. Then, when they finally were done, I watched as the mechanic sat in my car trying to back it out. Don't worry, he had NO idea how to put my car in reverse. Ha! He finally came in and asked me and I just had to laugh because when I was at Sam's Club a few months ago getting new tires the guy there couldn't do it either.... I didn't know that it was that difficult. Oh well. So when I finally went to the counter to pay I asked about the whole 29 minute deal and what happened if it took longer than that and told the guy I had been there waiting for over an hour and a half. Don't worry though, when I mentioned this the store owner was standing there and had this look of horror and embarrassment come over his face that I had been waiting for so long when they were not busy at all. It all paid off though because after I sort of passive aggressively asked a few questions and mentioned the time and what not the owner said they would help take care of the oil change. I thought that meant they were going to give me a discount or something but turns out I got my entire oil change and air filter for FREE!!! That's right ladies and gentlemen, I said FREE!! It saved me a good $45 dollars and I walked out of there with a smile on my face! I guess I have learned from my dad over the years how to work the system a little bit to get what you deserve when the customer service is not up to par. Oh what a happy day. :)