Friday, February 4, 2011

My oh my, split ends

Did you know that trying to find someone to cut your hair is very difficult? Especially when the same person has been cutting and highlighting your hair for pretty much your whole life. How do you find someone new to trust with your precious precious hair? ha. Well, it's difficult. And can make one a bit anxious.....

So it turns out that maybe the newspapers are intriguingly and terrifyingly right after all. I read an article a couple of weeks ago in the Deseret News about how college sophomores learn almost nothing the first two years they are attending their higher education school. (This was intriguing to me seeing that I am currently a sophomore). The study tested students at the beginning of the freshman year and at the end of their sophomore year and noted that there was only about a 4% increase in the test. It is so true. I feel like a lot of the stuff I have done in some classes the past couple of years is a repeat from high school. And if you think about it, a good portion of classes your first two years of college you can test out of by taking classes in high school. So if you can take the class in high school then why should people have to take basically the same thing again in college and pay thousands of dollars for those classes? It's pretty crazy if you ask me. But at the same time, if it is information we could have learned in high school, then why are we not learning it even better in college and gaining more knowledge over two years? Interesting.
Anyway, the reason I bring that article up is because today in English we got back some of our papers we have written and one of them was a synthesis paper that I had no idea who to write or anything and just kind of winged it. Well, turns out I got an A on the paper... so maybe I am learning more than I thought after all. College is such an interesting experience. Sometimes I feel like I am not learning anything at all but then I turn around and turn in a paper or take a test and bam! Turns out I have learned much more than I ever anticipated. I just wish that it wasn't so exhausting. all the time....